Increasing The “Digestive Fire”
Ghee, or clarified butter, is priced in Ayurveda, because of its ability to increase the digestive fire or agni. To use ghee as a digestive, just drizzle a teaspoon over food at the table. More is not better! You will be pleasantly surprised with the results. You can make your own ghee:
1) Place one pound of unsalted butter in a saucepan over low heat.
2) Allow it to melt.
3) Raise the heat to medium.
4) Skim off the foam as it rises.
5) When the butter starts to boil, giving off its water content, lower the heat.
6) Cook slowly for about ten minutes.
7) The ghee is done when all the moisture is gone and the milk solids at the bottom of the pan have turned light golden brown (there may be a nutty aroma but not a burnt smell).
8) Remove from heat, let cool and pour into clean container.
Ghee keeps indefinitely when refrigerated but can be stored at even room temperature for weeks.